John was born and raised in Sydney, Australia.  His Dad was a Dentist, his mother in interior designer, and he has two sisters.  He was educated at Sydney Grammar School and the University of New South Wales. 
But his real education started when he became a volunteer lifeguard at Palm Beach Surf Lifesaving Club, some 40 km north of downtown Sydney.  He joined there in 1966, and his Dad, who was also his best friend, moved the family home there and became a good friend to the group.  In those days his hair was a thick mop of sun bleached blond.  He credits the time spent there with teaching him teamwork and volunteering. 
John became a Chartered Accountant and went to work for Arthur Young and Company in Sydney.     In 1974 he had his first 7- year itch, and took a two year post in the company’s Toronto office.  John took 7 months to travel from Sydney to Toronto, spending a month in South Africa and 6 months in Europe.  Afterworking18 months in Toronto, his boss was transferred to Victoria and asked John to come with him.    He hesitated, then realized this was a Canadian transfer to kill for, and came to Victoria in 1976 as a manger with Clarkson Gordon.  His plans to return to Australia in 6 months came to a screaming halt when he met Wendy at a Christmas party.  He credits Wendy for turning a 2 year visit into a 42 year stay.   
Another highlight of this period was being part of the team that created BC Buildings Corporation, now sadly gone, where he had the opportunity to work with, and become friends with, the newly appointed corporate controller, Dennis Truss.
His second 7-year itch in 1982, saw John take a partnership with Clarkson Gordon, and the rest of the 80’s was a period of personal and professional growth.    He sat on the United Way Board, working with Dennis Truss and Maureen Duncan.  Clarkson Gordon became Ernst & Young, and later still merged with KPMG. 
John scratched his 3rd 7-year itch and became the managing partner of the Regina office, twice the size of Victoria and a renowned success in the firm.   Randy Decksheimer replaced John in the Victoria office. He and Wendy had 7 terrific years in Regina, and became involved in the community through the United Way and the Art Gallery.  They got Rough Rider season’s passes and John joined Regina North Rotary Club, and went on to become the President.   The economy and a change in Government saw some professional challenges as John had to downsize the firm, and after 7 years, the itch was back.
Early in 1997, he left Ernst & Young and moved back to Victoria.   In October of that year, he joined the Chew Companies as Vice President Finance.  Chew had 8 lines of business, including excavating, asphalt recycling, municipal maintenance, a landfill, a sign manufacturer, several small automotive related businesses, residential real estate development and managing a portfolio of commercial properties.  He joined Harbourside Rotary, and became President in 2001.
John and the late John Chew became firm friends and he became his personal financial advisor and CFO of all his companies.   He spent the last 7 years with the Chew empire dismantling it.  2010 was a pretty good year for John.  He semi-retired; was elected a life member of the United Way of Greater Victoria; was elected a fellow of the institute of chartered accountants.  He is now retired from Chew but remains a 12 year partner and part-time VP Finance of Victoria Harbour Ferries.  He and Wendy are traveling more, and will continue to do so.  The week he retired, they left for 5 weeks in New Zealand and Sydney, the latter stop including a reunion with about 20 of his old surf club mates and their wives at a BBQ at the surf club.